Quote by Dr Maria Montessori……
Dr Maria Montessori says - "Knowledge can be best given where there is eagerness to learn, so this is the period when the seed of everything can be sown, the child's mind being like a fertile field. How can the mind of a growing individual continue to be interested if all the usual teaching methods around are confined to subjects of limited scope?"
The dream of our Director to uphold the lofty principles of education has resulted in a foundation for the development of an environment which follows the Montessori method for the primary school. This is to render to the second stage of development of the child who are in the age group of 6-12 years. At this crucial stage, their needs differ drastically from their first stage of development. They are entering into an inquisitive age of imagination and are capable of taking up challenging activities. Also, their morale is building up and they are keen to socialize.
Our classroom follows vertical grouping, according to which we will have a dynamic group of ages 6-10 yrs together. One can find the ultimate learning phenomena that is exhibited by all children without exception, which results in transfer of skills and not just knowledge.
Here, they work in groups and are free to choose their activity of interest. Their subjects/areas of study include(make the subjects in different font and highlight) Arithmetic, Geometry, Languages, English, Hindi, Kannada, Geography, History, Physics, Chemistry.
All lessons are presented to the children in the form of stories that arouse their curiosity. The Montessori materials offered are concrete for a substantial grasp of concepts. Children are allowed to explore and advance into their area of interest concerning every topic.
Dr Montessori says, "if the Idea of the universe be presented to the child in the right way, it will do more for him than just arouse his interest, for it will create in him admiration and wonder, a feeling loftier than any interest and more satisfying."
This is a plan of cosmic education that Dr Montessori declared.
Golden Arch also offers a variety of activities apart from the academics for all round development:
- Outdoor study - at historical places, botanical and zoological parks,
Through nature walk, bird watching and many more.
- Music - western (conducted by trained professional)
- Art – craft, drawing and painting, clay work (conducted by trained professional)
- Physical activity - Under the guidance of edu sports (at the lawrence grounds)
Swimming classes (tie up with swim life)
- Library time - As these children dwell into their treasure box of knowledge, they also have the facility for reference of books from our own library.
- Kitchenette: Recipe cards and required are provided to them which they read, cook with and eat later. While they enjoy their work, strict safety measures are taken.
- Science Utsav: A safe mini laboratory will help the children to experiment with various scientific concepts through a practical approach.
- We all know the value of pi = 3.14
But why is it 3.14? why do we use the same constant measure areas of circles of all sizes??
- When we convert a mixed fraction into a proper fraction, we have been thought to multiply the number with the denominator and then add it with the numerator. But why do we do so?
The above are some questions, to which most of us don't know the answers to. Why haven't we asked ourselves before? For the simple reason that we have preferred to consume them as facts instead of trying to understand them, and reason out the concepts underline. However, unlike the regular education system, our Montessori environment allows children to question themselves, understand the depths of each concept, acquire true knowledge, and establish a strong foundation, which can only be done at this stage of development (6-12 years of age) of the child.
And if you're still thinking about the answers to these questions, be assured that our Montessori trained children will give them to you, right away.
Hence, the atmosphere at Golden Arch is lovable and fun filled, most congenial for the growth and development of the child.